Weight Loss Tips
Keys to a Successful Weight Loss Program
There are many tips on weight loss, but the key tip is to create a caloric deficit (eat less, burn more energy, and make your body burn its fat stores).
Below is the energy balance of your body.
Energy intake = Energy consumed + Energy stored
Your goal is to eliminate the stored energy, to do so you there are several strategies.
- Reduce energy intake so that it is smaller than the consumed energy.
- Increase consumed energy beyond the energy intake.
Both strategies will create a "gap" in your energy balance known as "Caloric Deficit".
This gap will be covered by using up the stored energy; your fat reserves.
The food you eat provides your body with energy. If you overeat or aren't active enough, your body will store the surplus energy as fat.
Fat builds up and adds pounds to your weight.
Therefore, you should implement real changes in your diet and level of physical activity to reduce caloric intake and increase energy expenditure.
Your body will not have any surplus energy to store as fat, and if you "burn" more than you eat, your body will have to consume its cache of stored fat.
Weight Loss requires that you change your current habits; you should modify your lifestyle.
Lifestyle changes for weight loss
- Eat less.
- Be more physically active.
- Eat a balanced and healthy diet.
- Aim at a sustainable goal of losing around 1 to 2 lb per week (0.5 to 1 kg).
Don't try fad diets, gimmick gadgets, or diet pills because they may have short-term effects, but if you stop using them you will revert to your "old" habits and regain the lost weight.
Six things you can do right now
This is a shortlist with 6 Tips for weight loss:
- As a first step calculate your BMI (use our BMI - Body Mass Index Calculator), it will tell you where you stand today (a BMI over 25 means you are overweight). Set a weight goal for a BMI below or equal to 25 (Our tool lets you do this).
- Define your daily Diet Calorie requirements using Daily Diet Calorie Calculator, it will give you the value of your daily calorie intake for your diet based on your desired level of a caloric deficit.
- Rethink what you plan to eat for the rest of the day and cut down on alcohol, sugary drinks, processed foods, and colas.
- Increase your physical activity: Get up and walk, take the stairs, do some gardening, get on your bike. In three words: be more active.
- Plan your weekly diet including a healthy breakfast each day (it will help you to lose weight).
- Start your Diet Diary: jot down your weight and everything you eat, calculate your calories for each meal and add them up to make sure you fulfill your daily calorie goal. It will motivate you to stick to your weight loss plan.
Each of the pages listed below covers nutrition, weight loss, diet tips, and evidence on the science behind our advice.
Resources on Diets and Weight Loss
Each of the following webpages has links to many resources covering nutrition, dieting, preparing and cooking healthy foods, balanced diets, and more! Enjoy.
Dangers of Belly Fat
Visceral fat has been linked to many health conditions: dementia, asthma, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and several types of cancer. Abdominal fat is a silent killer.
Body Mass Index is one of the ways used to calculate body fat and the associated health risks. Measure your height and weight and use our calculator to find out your BMI and what steps to take to improve your weight issues.
A balanced diet with healthy foods is the key to avoiding chronic diseases and keeping fit and healthy. Learn all about the nutrients in food, and the keys to a healthy diet.
Healthy Eating Plan
Eating a healthy diet will make you feel your best and keep you in good health. Follow this simple eating plan and include the right mix of foods and nutrients so you can feel energetic and accomplish your weight-loss goals.
Get Fit & Lean
Tips to exercise more, lose weight, and get into shape. Fitness and exercise are as important as diet in your body weight control program. Feel fitter, leaner, and healthier.
A Balanced Diet
A balanced diet is made up of the right proportions of each one of the different nutrients your body needs. Learn how much of each food group you should include in your diet.
Food & Recipes
Eat Better: Our recipes cover a wide range of tasty nutrient-packed foods.
Full of Tips and tricks for cooking great healthy and balanced meals.
Drink Water to Lose Weight
Several studies have shown that there is a positive correlation between drinking more water than one usually drinks, and weight loss. In other words: drink more water and you will lose weight.
Staying Healthy: Articles and Resources
Waist Size Matters
Dangers of Belly Fat
Low-Carb Diet helps you burn more calories
Eating a diet with a low carbohydrate content (20% of daily caloric needs) and high-fat content (60%) made participants burn more calories than those following a moderate or a high carb diet. It also improved triglycerides, HDL, and insulin resistance plus lowering the hunger hormone (Ghrelin) levels.
Being slim is in your genes
About this Article
Tips for your Weight Loss Program, A. Whittall
©2018 Fit-and-Well.com, 14.Oct.2018. Updated. 21.Dec.2020. https://www.fit-and-well.com/diet-food/weight-loss.html
Tags: balanced diet, weight loss diet, losing weight, diet for weight loss, healthy eating, healthy eating habits.
Subject: Fit-and-Well.com. Tips for weight loss: Learn how to shed those extra pounds. Eating a healthy, balanced, and reduced-calorie diet, and increasing your physical activity are two steps toward a healthy lifestyle that will help you lose weight and improve your life quality.